Richard LINTHWAITE married Sarah UNKNOWN, date and place uncertain.
Known children of Richard and Sarah are:
- Ann born about 1747 in Bottesford, Leicestershire, baptised 22nd May, 1847. (more below)
- Richard born about 1751, baptised 29th March, 1751. Died 3rd December, 1751 in Bottesford.
- William born about 1756 in Bottesford, baptised 10th February, 1856. Died 8th June, 1756 in Bottesford.
- Sarah born about 1748 in Bottesford. Baptised 17th January, 1748.
- Mary born about 1752 in Bottesford. Baptised 28th October, 1752.
Ann LINTHWAITE married Thomas TODER, on 26th September, 1773 at St George’s, Bloomsbury, London.
Known children of Ann and Thomas are:
NB: Interestingly, all the children have their mother’s maiden name as a middle name.
- Ann Linthwaite born 1778 in Newark upon Trent, Nottingham, baptised 25th September, 1778.
- William Linthwaite born about 1774, baptised 26th August, 1774 in Newark.
- Mary Linthwaite born about 1775, baptised 18th November, 1775 in Newark.
- Mary Linthwaite born about 1776, baptised 15th May, 1776 in Newark.
- John Linthwaite born about 1779, baptised 30th December, 1779 in Newark.
- John Linthwaite born about 1780, baptised 14th April, 1780 in Newark.
- Robert Linthwaite born about 1781, baptised 11th October, 1781 in Newark.
There is a village in Yorkshire called Linthwaite and it is that possible my family came from there. This site offers translations of Norse words which are still used in the Yorkshire dialect. Using this, the closest definition of the name I could find is ‘ling’ meaning heather and ‘thwaite’ meaning village or settlement.